Chocolate banana chiffon pie
Graham cracker crumbs
1 cup(s), or 9 whole graham crackers
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
Fat free skim milk
2 large, at room temperature*
2 medium, ripe
4 oz, chopped
Unsweetened baking chocolate square(s)
1 oz, chopped
Fresh lemon juice
- If not using store-bought graham cracker crumbs, place whole graham crackers, sugar and milk in a food processor and pulse until crumbly and well combined. Alternatively, break up the crackers, seal them in a plastic bag, and crush to the texture of cornmeal with a rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy saucepan. Transfer the crushed crackers or the store-bought crumbs to a bowl and stir in sugar and milk.
- Press the graham cracker crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate, evenly forming the crust across the bottom and up the side. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Stir the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a simmer. Clip a candy thermometer to the inside of the pan and continue cooking until the temperature registers 238°F.
- Remove the thermometer and beat the egg whites a few seconds at high speed. With the mixer running, drizzle in the hot sugar syrup in a small, steady stream. Once all the sugar syrup has been added, continue beating at high speed 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the chocolate in a medium bowl and microwave on high 30 seconds. Stir well, then continue microwaving in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until about two-thirds of the chocolate has melted. Remove the bowl from the microwave and continue stirring until all the chocolate has melted. Alternatively, place the chocolate in the top half of a double boiler set over about 1 inch of slowly simmering water, or place it in a medium bowl that will fit snugly over a medium saucepan with about 1 inch of slowly simmering water. Stir constantly until half the chocolate has melted, then remove the bowl from the heat (be careful of any escaping steam) and continue stirring until all the chocolate has melted.
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl with a potato masher or a fork until creamy. Stir in the melted chocolate and the lemon juice. Fold this mixture into the beaten egg whites with a rubber spatula until uniform. Pour into the pie crust and smooth evenly across the crust.
- Place in the freezer and chill 1 hour, then cover with plastic wrap and continue freezing at least 7 hours or up to 3 days. Set out at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting into 12 pieces and serving.