- 8 oz packaged rice noodles, wide width
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp smooth reduced fat peanut butter, crunchy-variety
- 1 Tbsp unpacked light brown sugar
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced (about 1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp jalapeño pepper(s), or serrano chile, minced (do not touch seeds with bare hands)
- 1 Tbsp lemon grass, minced
- 2 small uncooked shallot(s), peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, leaves, fresh, picked off the stem and washed
- 3 Tbsp mint leaves, fresh, picked off the stem and washed
- 2 Tbsp basil, leaves, fresh, washed and torn
- 1/4 cup(s), shredded cooked green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup(s) uncooked red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup(s) shredded carrot(s)
- 8 oz uncooked shrimp, frozen, peeled, precooked, thawed and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium uncooked scallion(s), thinly sliced on a diagonal
Fill a large, deep pot with very hot tap water. Add noodles and cover; set aside.
To make dressing, combine lime juice, water, fish sauce, soy sauce, coconut milk, oil, peanut butter and sugar in a medium bowl; whisk until well-combined.
Add garlic, jalapeno, lemon grass and shallot to same bowl; mix to combine. Add cilantro, mint, basil, both cabbages and carrots; mix again to combine.
Taste a noodle to see if they are ready. They should be slightly al dente. Drain and rinse in cold water. Add noodles to bowl and toss to coat. Add shrimp and scallions; mix again and let sit for at least 10 minutes or up to overnight in the refrigerator. Yields about 1 1/3 cups per serving.
- To save yourself a little time, consider buying a pre-packed slaw mix to replace the shredded carrot and green and red cabbage.