Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Total Time
Swap in regular canned diced tomatoes to turn down the heat.
olive oil1 tsp
uncooked onion(s)1 ½ cup(s), chopped
kosher salt1 ½ tsp
minced garlic4 tsp
jalapeño pepper(s)1 medium, seeded and minced
chili powder1 tsp
reduced-sodium chicken broth6 cup(s)
canned diced tomatoes15 oz, fire roasted-variety, drained
uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast20 oz
fresh lime juice⅓ cup(s)
cilantro1 cup(s), chopped
shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese6 Tbsp
tortilla chips12 chip(s), crushed
- Heat oil in a large soup pot set over medium heat.
- Add onion and salt; cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, 5-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, and chili powder; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, and lime juice; stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, until chicken breasts are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from soup and shred with 2 forks; return chicken to pot with cilantro.
- Serve soup garnished with cheese and tortilla chips.
- Serving size: 1 ½ cups soup, 1 Tbsp cheese, 2 chips