- Total Time
Our healthy version of this Italian classic is a guaranteed family hit. Use a high quality Parmesan cheese for the best flavor.
olive oil cooking spray3 spray(s)
uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)1 pound(s), four 4-oz pieces
egg white(s)2 item(s), lightly beaten
dried plain breadcrumbs½ cup(s)
Italian seasoning1 Tbsp
table salt½ tsp, or to taste
olive oil1 tsp
canned tomato sauce1 ½ cup(s)
part-skim mozzarella cheese½ cup(s), shredded
grated Parmesan cheese2 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a large baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place chicken between two sheets of wax paper; using a rolling pin, pound chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. (To watch a video of this technique, click here.)
- Place egg whites in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs with Italian seasoning and salt. Dip chicken in egg whites; turn to coat. Dip chicken in bread crumb mixture; turn to thoroughly coat.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and add oil; heat over medium-high heat. When hot, add chicken and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink in center, about 4 minutes per side (cook chicken in batches if necessary).
- Pour 1/2 cup of sauce into prepared baking dish; place chicken in pan in a single layer. Pour remaining sauce evenly over chicken; sprinkle with both cheeses. Bake until chicken is cooked through and cheese is bubbly, about 25 minutes. Yields 1 piece of chicken per serving.