Olive oil cooking spray
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
1 pound(s), four 4-oz pieces
2 item(s), lightly beaten
Dried plain breadcrumbs
½ tsp, or to taste
Canned tomato sauce
Part-skim mozzarella cheese
½ cup(s), shredded
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a large baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken between two sheets of wax paper; using a rolling pin, pound the chicken to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Place the egg whites in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs with Italian seasoning and salt. Dip the chicken in egg whites; turn to coat. Then dip the chicken in the bread crumb mixture; turning to coat it thoroughly.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and add oil; heat over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook until it's lightly browned and no longer pink in the center, about 4 minutes per side (cook the chicken in batches, if necessary).
- Pour 1/2 cup of sauce into the prepared baking dish; place the chicken in the pan in a single layer. Pour the remaining sauce evenly over the chicken; sprinkle with both cheeses. Bake until chicken is cooked through and cheese is bubbly, about 25 minutes. Garnish with basil.
- Serving size: 1 piece of chicken.