- 12 oz uncooked lean beef round
- 1/4 cup(s) white all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp table salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 1/4 cup(s) fat free skim milk, divided
- 1 large egg white(s)
- 1 cup(s) dried plain breadcrumbs, coarse-variety
- 2 slice(s) uncooked reduced fat bacon
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, optional
- Place steak between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound to 1/2-inch thickness; slice steak into 4 equal pieces.
- Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper on a plate. Combine 1/4 cup of milk and egg white in a shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs on another plate.
- Dip a piece of steak in flour mixture; turn to coat both sides. Next, dip steak in milk mixture; turn to coat both sides. Lastly, dip steak in bread crumbs; turn to coat both sides and set aside. Repeat with remaining pieces of steak; reserve 1 tablespoon of leftover flour.
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium heat, brown bacon, flipping once, about 5 minutes; remove from skillet and set aside. Add steaks to same skillet and place over medium-high heat. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium, or longer to desired degree of doneness. Remove steaks and set aside.
- Off heat, coat skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat. When hot, add onion; cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add reserved tablespoon of flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Pour in remaining cup of milk, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to medium-low; add remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and hot sauce. Crumble bacon; stir into skillet. Increase heat to medium and cook until gravy is thickened, stirring constantly, about 1 to 3 minutes. Spoon gravy over steaks and serve immediately. Yields about 3 ounces of steak and 1/4 cup of gravy per serving.