Chicken and veggie kebabs with romesco sauce
- Total Time
sherry vinegar2 Tbsp
extra virgin olive oil1 ½ Tbsp
table salt¾ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast1 pound(s), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
sweet red pepper(s)2 medium
fresh tomato(es)1 large
slivered almonds3 Tbsp, toasted
garlic clove(s)2 medium clove(s)
uncooked zucchini1 medium, cut into 3/4-inch slices
cremini mushroom(s)½ pound(s), or button mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 Combine 1 tablespoon vinegar, 11/2 teaspoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in large zip-close plastic bag; add chicken. Squeeze out air and seal bag; turn to coat chicken. Refrigerate, turning bag occasionally, at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- 2 Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Preheat grill to medium-high or prepare medium-high fire. Lightly spray peppers and tomato with olive oil nonstick spray. Place on grill rack and grill, turning often, until vegetables are charred, about 12 minutes for peppers and about 5 minutes for tomato. Place vegetables in small bowl; cover and let stand 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Peel peppers and tomato. Remove and discard seeds from peppers. Core tomato.
- 3 Combine bell peppers, tomato, almonds, garlic, remaining 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in blender or food processor. Pulse until mixture is smooth. Set aside. (The sauce may be made up to 2 days ahead and stored in covered container in refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.)
- 4 Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread chicken, zucchini, and mushrooms onto 8 (10- to 12-inch) skewers. (If using wooden skewers, soak in water 20 minutes prior to use to prevent charring.) Lightly spray kebabs with olive oil nonstick spray. Place kebabs on grill rack and grill, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes. Sprinkle kebabs with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Serve kebabs with sauce.
- Serving size: 2 kebabs and 1/4 cup sauce