The combination of tender Savoy cabbage and sweet potatoes says fall is in the air.
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken thigh(s), trimmed of all visible fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 5 cup(s), chopped uncooked cabbage (all varieties), Savoy, shredded, about (1-pound)
- 1 large uncooked red onion(s), thinly sliced
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), chopped
- 2 medium uncooked sweet potato(es), peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 1/4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) frozen green peas
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, fresh, chopped
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
Sprinkle the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the same Dutch oven, then add the cabbage, onion, and garlic. Cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage and onion are just tender, about 8 minutes. Return the chicken to the Dutch oven; stir in the sweet potatoes, broth, 1/2 cup of the water and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in the peas and thyme; heat through.
Combine the flour and the remaining 1/4 cup water in a small bowl until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the Dutch oven. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture bubbles and thickens, about 3 minutes. Yields 1 1/3 cups per serving.
- If you like, use chopped fresh oregano instead of the thyme, or substitute a teaspoon of dried thyme or oregano for the fresh.