Caramelized Apple–Filled Cinnamon Shortcake
Whole wheat flour
Packed brown sugar
Fat free skim milk
1 large egg(s)
6 medium, Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and sliced (about 8 cups)
Fat free frozen yogurt no sugar added
3 cup(s), vanilla flavored
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9-inch round baking pan with nonstick spray.
- To make the shortcake, whisk together the pastry flour, brown sugar, 1 3⁄4 teaspoons of the cinnamon, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the milk, melted butter, and egg in a small bowl. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until the flour mixture is moistened.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and spread evenly; sprinkle evenly with the pecans. Combine the granulated sugar and the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon of cinnamon in a small bowl; sprinkle over the batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on the rack.
- To make the filling, melt the butter in a very large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the apples and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in the granulated sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until the apples brown and soften, about 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- With a serrated knife, cut the shortcake horizontally in half. Place the shortcake bottom, cut side up, on a serving plate. Spoon the apples on top of the shortcake and cover with the top of the shortcake. Cut into 12 wedges. Put each wedge on a plate and place a scoop of frozen yogurt alongside. Serve at once. Yields 1⁄12 of shortcake, and 1⁄4 cup frozen yogurt per serving.