- Total Time
Biscottis are enjoyed for breakfast, as an afternoon snack with espresso, or after a meal with wine. Mangia!
all-purpose flour¾ cup(s)
unsweetened cocoa powder3 Tbsp, powder
instant espresso2 tsp, powder
ground cinnamon2 tsp
baking powder½ tsp
table salt¼ tsp
vanilla extract½ tsp
chopped pecans¼ cup(s), coarsely
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil; lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk together the sugar, egg, and vanilla in a small bowl until frothy. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon just until a dough forms. Stir in the pecans.
- Gather dough with lightly floured hands and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a 2 x 8-inch log. Transfer the log to the baking sheet and shape into a log that is about 3/4 inch high and 2 inches wide.
- Bake until firm to the touch, 20–25 minutes. Transfer the log to a cutting board and cool 5–7 minutes. With a serrated knife, cut into 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices. Arrange the slices, cut-side down, on the baking sheet.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F. Bake the biscotti 10 minutes, then turn them over and bake until very dry and slightly crisp, about 10 minutes longer. Transfer the biscotti to a rack and cool completely. They will continue to dry out as they cool. Yields 1 biscotti per serving.