Candied Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large uncooked sweet potato(es), about 2 lbs, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 2-inch thick pieces
- 1/4 cup(s) unsweetened orange juice
- 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, melted
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and pour in enough water to cover potatoes. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain potatoes and arrange them in a single layer in bottom of a shallow baking dish.
- Whisk together juice, sugar, syrup, margarine and salt; pour mixture over sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then stir to coat potatoes with liquid and bake for 15 minutes more, until sauce is thick and bubbly. Stir once again before serving. Yields about 1 cup per serving.