This summery salad is a fabulous addition to any picnic or BBQ. The lemon juice and zest, dill and juicy tomatoes are a mouth-watering combination.
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup(s) uncooked sugar snap peas, ends snipped, cut into 3 or 4 pieces each
- 1 tsp lemon zest, freshly grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup(s) dill, fresh, chopped, or less to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup(s) grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup(s) cucumber(s), diced
- 1/4 cup(s), sliced uncooked red onion(s), chopped
- 1 medium lemon(s), cut into wedges
Cook rice according to package directions. Remove pan from heat and drain any excess liquid. Stir sugar snap peas into hot rice and let cool slightly, tossing occasionally.
Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, water, dill, oil, salt and pepper until blended. Add rice mixture, tomatoes, cucumber and onion; toss to mix and coat.
Let rice salad cool to room temperature before serving with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day but make sure to bring up to room temperature before serving. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- Stirring sugar snaps into the hot rice, heats them just enough to heighten their color while keeping them nice and crunchy.