Brown rice paella
Fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
½ tsp, threads
Uncooked turkey sausage(s)
1 pound(s), Italian-style, sliced into 1/4-inch thick disks
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken thigh(s)
1 pound(s), cut into 1-inch pieces
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
3 cup(s), chopped, trimmed
2½ cup(s), chopped
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
2 cup(s), cored, seeded and chopped
1½ cup(s), chopped, chopped
Uncooked long grain brown rice
1½ cup(s), medium grain, such as Arborio
Canned diced tomatoes
1¾ cup(s), reduced sodium
1 pound(s), medium, peeled and deveined
- Mix broth, saffron and salt in a medium saucepan and warm over low heat while you prepare paella. Position rack in center of oven and heat to 325°F.
- Coat inside of a large, oven-safe Dutch oven or cast-iron casserole with cooking spray; set over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add sausage; cook, stirring often, until browned, about 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer sausage to a large bowl.
- Add chicken to pot; cook, stirring often, until browned, about 7 minutes. Transfer to bowl with sausage.
- Add fennel, zucchini, bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 15 minutes. Stir in garlic, oregano, smoked paprika, thyme and pepper; stir over heat until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Stir in rice; toast for 2 minutes, stirring all the while. Pour in tomatoes, then stir until all liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add about a third of the warmed broth mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Add half remaining broth and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes more.
- Add rest of broth and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sausage, chicken and shrimp. Cover pot, place in oven, and bake 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and most liquid has been absorbed. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving size: 1 1/3 cups