- 4 cup(s) uncooked broccoli, florets
- 2 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded fat-free Cheddar cheese, sharp
Combine the broccoli and broth in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
Transfer the broccoli and about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid to a blender. Puree until very smooth, scraping the sides of the blender every 30 seconds. Remove the knob from the lid and with the machine running, gradually pour the remaining liquid through the hole. Place a large sieve over the saucepan and strain the soup back into the saucepan. Stir in the milk, salt, and pepper; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the cheese, and stir until melted. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.
- Because food processors weren’t designed to handle a lot of liquid, they tend to leak when you puree soups. Unless your food processor is very large, using a blender for this recipe is a smarter—and neater—idea. Serve with whole-wheat toast for a satisfying supper (1 slice with each serving will increase the SmartPoints value).