- 2 cup(s) uncooked beets, shredded
- 14 oz canned beef broth, low sodium
- 1 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1/2 medium uncooked red onion(s), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 tsp packed brown sugar, dark variety
- 2 Tbsp dill, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 1/4 cup(s) fat free sour cream
- 2 Tbsp dill, chopped, (optional)
In a large nonreactive saucepan, combine the beets, broth, water, onion, cabbage, and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes. Add the dill; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Stir in the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pour into a 1-quart storage container and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 3 days. Garnish each serving with a tablespoon of the sour cream and a sprinkle of the additional dill, if using. Yields 1 cup per serving.