Blueberry and matcha chia seed pudding
The lusciousness of this breakfast pudding doesn't come from heavy cream, half-and-half, or full-fat yogurt, rather the richness is created when tiny chia seeds absorb many times their weight in liquid, expanding to create a viscous, protein- and fatty acid-rich thickener that lends lots of body to low-fat milk. Fresh berries easily become suspended in this pudding-like mixture that is loaded with filling goodness. Matcha green tea powder (also called gunpowder tea) is a nutrient-rich, eye-opening addition to this morning pudding (if you're not a fan, you can leave it out and the pudding will still be delicious).
Dried chia seeds
1% low-fat milk
Matcha (green tea powder)
- In a medium bowl, combine chia seeds and milk. Stir in matcha powder.
- Pour the mixture into 2 cups (or lidded containers if you're going to store it in the fridge for later). Divide blueberries evenly between puddings, leaving out a few for garnish.
- Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes, or store in the refrigerator for longer; up to 3 days.
- When ready to eat, garnish with blueberries.
- Serving size: about 3/4 cup