Beef maki with lemon-ginger teriyaki sauce
¼ cup(s), divided (natural variety recommended)
uncooked trimmed beef tenderloin
¾ pound(s), sliced into eight 1/4-inch-thick slices
8 medium, trimmed of roots and rinsed
1 medium, peeled and sliced into long thin strips
long grain cooked brown rice
2 cup(s), cooled
2 tsp, finely minced
fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
- Coat a grill pan with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Spread 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce over beef slices. Grill beef for 2 to 3 minutes per side; set beef aside on a plate.
- Grill scallions and carrots in same pan, turning once, for 1 to 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- Place one nori sheet on a bamboo sushi mat (available at Asian specialty stores) and top with 1/2 cup of rice; spread rice out with a spatula into an even layer, leaving 1/4-inch border all the way around the sheet. Place 2 slices of beef, 2 scallions and several slices of carrot on the lower part of rice-covered nori sheet. Starting from the bottom, make a tight roll using the bamboo mat as a guide. Seal the edge of the roll with water and place seam-side down; cover roll with plastic wrap until ready to slice. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 rolls.
- To make sauce, combine remaining 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce, water, ginger, lemon juice and chives in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Slice each roll into 6 pieces and serve with 3 tablespoons of sauce.