Beef and Vegetable Cheese Casserole
- Total Time
This warming casserole can be made ahead, tightly wrapped and frozen until needed. Perfect for hectic holiday times!
cooking spray1 spray(s)
fresh tomato(es)2 medium, sliced
uncooked zucchini2 medium, sliced
uncooked lean ground beef12 oz
uncooked onion(s)1 large, finely chopped
garlic clove(s)2 medium clove(s), minced
canned tomato sauce1 cup(s)
fat free cottage cheese2 cup(s)
uncooked egg yolk(s)1 large
WeightWatchers Reduced Fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese½ cup(s)
fresh parsley1 Tbsp, oregano or rosemary, chopped
table salt⅛ tsp, or to taste
black pepper⅛ tsp, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 500ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread tomatoes and zucchini over sheet. Roast vegetables for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanhwile, in a large, nonstick skillet, sauté beef, onion and garlic until beef is browned. Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Spread beef mixture in a large, shallow baking dish (3 quart or 9 X 13-inches) and top with roasted vegetables. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Whisk together cottage cheese, egg yolk, cheddar cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spoon over roasted vegetables and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Bake until very hot and bubbling around edges, about 35 minutes. Cut into six equal pieces and serve immediately. (Note: If preparing casserole in advance and freezing it, make sure to thaw it completely in the refrigerator before baking it. Increase the baking time by 5 to 10 minutes.)