Bean salad with mustard vinaigrette & crispy tofu croutons
Extra firm tofu
15 oz, drained well and sliced
2 Tbsp, divided
Low sodium soy sauce
Uncooked string beans
8 oz, green, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
Frozen yellow snap beans
8 oz, fresh or frozen, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 item(s), finely chopped
White wine vinegar
½ tsp, plus more for cooking the beans
4 cup(s), baby, or chopped kale (about 4 oz)
15 oz, drained
2 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange the tofu in a single layer on paper towels. Top with another layer of paper towels or a kitchen towel and place a sheet pan on top. Weigh the pan down with a heavy pot or bowl. Let stand for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into sticks, then cut crosswise into cubes. Transfer the tofu to a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and the soy sauce and gently toss to coat. Sprinkle the tofu with the cornstarch and gently toss to coat.
- Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper. Spread the tofu on the pan in a single layer. Bake the tofu until crispy, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Cook the beans in the boiling water until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the beans and immediately add to the bowl of ice water. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, whisk the shallot, mustard, vinegar, salt, black pepper, and remaining 1 tbsp oil. In a large bowl, combine the kale, chickpeas, and cooked beans. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Add the dill and toss again. Garnish the salad with the crispy tofu.
- Serving size: 1¾ cups