BBQ turkey burgers with grilled onions
Uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
2 medium, sliced
5 Tbsp, divided
¾ tsp, divided
½ medium, sweet, cut into four 1/2-inch-thick rounds
Weight Watchers Reduced fat Mexican style shredded cheese
Light whole wheat English muffin
4 item(s), toasted
Chopped romaine lettuce
1 cup(s), or shredded
½ large, cut into 4 thick slices
- Off heat, coat grill with cooking spray; heat to medium-high.
- In a medium bowl, combine turkey, scallions, breadcrumbs, 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons barbecue sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Moisten your hands with water (to prevent mixture from sticking) and form turkey mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Coat onion rounds with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Grill burgers and onions, turning once, until burgers are cooked through and onions are lightly charred and tender, about 10 minutes (internal temperature of burgers should be a minimum of 165ºF). Remove onions from grill; set aside.
- Sprinkle each burger with 1 tablespoon cheese. Turn off grill (or move burgers to cooler side of grill if using charcoal grill); close grill lid and heat until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
- To assemble burgers, top each muffin bottom with 1/4 cup lettuce, 1 tomato slice, a burger, 1 teaspoon barbecue sauce, 1/4 of onions and a muffin top. Yields 1 burger per serving.