- 1 1/4 cup(s) water
- 3/4 tsp table salt, divided
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked pearl barley
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin, divided
- 1 1/2 cup(s) grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 cup(s) arugula, baby leaves
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest, finely grated (or to taste)
Bring water and 1/2 tsp salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Add barley; cover, reduce heat to low and cook until water is absorbed and barley is tender but still has a nice bite to it, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Heat 1 tsp oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and garlic; sauté until tomatoes start to soften and release their juices, about 1-2 minutes.
Add barley, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and pepper; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until tomatoes soften further and barley absorbs tomato liquid, about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in arugula; toss over medium heat until wilted, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/2 tsp oil and lemon zest.
Serving size: 3/4 c
- This recipe tastes great reheated the next day. Or you can serve it as a cold salad - let it come to room temperature and then toss it with just a bit of red wine or balsamic vinegar.