No need to fry this traditional Mexican dish: Simply bake until the tortillas are lightly browned and crisp. Serve with spicy salsa and a dollop of sour cream.
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1/2 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast
- 16 oz fat free canned refried beans
- 1 3/4 cup(s) fat free salsa
- 4 1/2 oz canned green chili peppers, mild, drained and diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 Tbsp uncooked scallion(s), thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 item(s), large burrito-size wheat flour tortilla(s)
- 1 cup(s) fat free salsa
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free sour cream
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Coat a 13- X 9- X 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Add turkey to skillet and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Drain any excess liquid from pan and then add beans, 1 3/4 cups of salsa, chili peppers, chili powder and scallions. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes; stir in cheese.
Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil; warm in oven for 10 minutes.
Assemble chimichangas by spooning about 1/2 cup of turkey mixture onto each tortilla; fold in sides and roll up.
Place chimichangas, seam-side down, in prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until tortillas are crisp and browned, about 20 minutes. Serve each topped with 2 tablespoons of salsa and 1 tablespoon of sour cream.
- For a flavor boost, look for epazote, a pungent herb with a taste similar to cilantro, at Mexican and Central American food stores. Chop some up and sprinkle it over the finished dish.