Baked Blueberry-Peach French Toast
- 16 slice(s) reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 1 cup(s) fresh blueberries, fresh, or 1 cup frozen, thawed blueberries
- 1 large peach(es), chopped or 1 cup frozen, thawed peach slices
- 2 1/2 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 2 cup(s) regular liquid egg substitute
- 2 Tbsp sugar, granulated
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Arrange 8 slices of bread in bottom of a 9 X 13-inch baking dish, squishing slices together to make one layer; sprinkle blueberries and peaches over top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, egg substitute, granulated sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Pour half of milk mixture over fruit; top with remaining 8 slices of bread. Pour remaining milk mixture over bread; using a spatula, press top layer of bread slices down to saturate with milk mixture.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes; uncover dish and bake until egg mixture is set and top is golden brown, about 10 minutes more. Cool slightly before sifting powdered sugar over top. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.
You can prepare this recipe in advance, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to cook it, replace the plastic wrap with aluminum foil and bake as directed.