Baked beef ziti
- Total Time
If you thought you couldn't indulge in favorites and still lose weight, you'll be thrilled to know that baked ziti is not a thing of the past.
uncooked ziti12 oz
olive oil2 tsp
garlic clove(s)2 medium clove(s), minced
uncooked lean ground beef⅓ pound(s)
dried oregano1 tsp
dried thyme1 tsp
dried rosemary1 tsp
table salt½ tsp
black pepper½ tsp
canned crushed tomatoes28 oz
part-skim mozzarella cheese1 cup(s), shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up meat with a spoon as it cooks, 3 to 5 minutes; drain off any fat and set pan back over medium heat.
- Add oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper; stir to coat beef. Cook until herbs become fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon a small amount of beef-tomato mixture into bottom of a 4-quart casserole dish (just enough to cover surface); top with half of cooked ziti. Next, layer with half of remaining beef-tomato sauce and half of mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining ziti and then top with remaining beef-tomato sauce; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve.
- Per serving: 1/8 of casserole