Au Gratin Potatoes
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 2 pound(s) uncooked Yukon gold potato(es), thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 2-quart covered baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour; add milk slowly, stirring. Add potatoes and stir to mix. Bring to a boil. Stir in 3/4 cup of cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and level out surface. Bake for 1 hour, uncovered. Cover and bake until potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes more.
- Change oven temperature to broil. Sprinkle remaining cheese over potatoes. Broil 6 inches from the heating element until the cheese is golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.