- Total Time
Creamy and rich. Make this recipe as written or use white wine instead of lemon juice and swap spinach for the asparagus.*
table salt½ tsp, for cooking water
uncooked asparagus1 pound(s), trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
cooking spray2 spray(s)
unsalted butter1 Tbsp
uncooked shallot(s)3 small, minced
uncooked arborio rice1 cup(s)
fresh lemon juice1 Tbsp
canned chicken broth4 cup(s)
grated Parmesan cheese⅓ cup(s), such as Parmigianno-Reggiano
table salt⅛ tsp, or to taste
black pepper⅛ tsp, or to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Add asparagus to pot; blanch for 2 minutes. Immediately remove asparagus from pot and place them into ice water (to stop them from cooking and help retain their bright green color); set aside.
- Coat a medium pot with cooking spray and set over medium heat; melt butter. Add shallots; cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add rice and toss to coat; cook for 2 minutes. Add lemon juice; cook, until all lemon juice has been absorbed, stirring continuously so rice does not stick to sides of pot, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a simmer; keep warm.
- Add 1/2 cup of hot broth to pot at a time; stir until absorbed. Repeat with remaining broth, making sure each addition of broth is absorbed before adding more. This process takes about 20 minutes.
- When rice turns creamy and just done (should be slightly chewy and not mushy), remove pot from heat; add cheese and stir well. Stir in asparagus; season with salt and pepper. Yields 1 scant cup per serving.