Asparagus, Bacon and Cheese Strata
- Total Time
Stratas make an excellent breakfast or brunch, and they give you the perfect opportunity to use up leftover vegetables, lean meats and day-old bread.
olive oil2 tsp, or vegetable oil
uncooked turkey bacon4 slice(s), diced
uncooked onion(s)½ cup(s), diced
uncooked asparagus2 cup(s), fresh, or frozen and thawed, cut into 1-inch pieces
cooking spray1 spray(s)
reduced-calorie whole wheat bread6 slice(s)
egg white(s)5 large
fat free skim milk¾ cup(s)
Dijon mustard2 tsp
table salt½ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp, freshly ground
grated Parmesan cheese2 Tbsp, divided
WeightWatchers Reduced Fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese1 cup(s), about 4 oz
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add onion and asparagus; sauté until vegetable are soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Preheat broiler.
- Off heat, coat same skillet with cooking spray. Arrange bread slices tightly in bottom of skillet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and allow milk mixture to soak in entirely (like when you make French toast). Sprinkle bread with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
- Place skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook, shaking pan frequently to promote even cooking, until almost cooked through to the top, about 4 or 5 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler to set eggs, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from broiler; top with bacon-vegetable mixture, cheddar cheese and remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. Place skillet under broiler again until cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.