Stratas make an excellent breakfast or brunch, and they give you the perfect opportunity to use up leftover vegetables, lean meats and day-old bread.
- 2 tsp olive oil, or vegetable oil
- 4 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), diced
- 2 cup(s) uncooked asparagus, fresh, or frozen and thawed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 6 slice(s) reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 4 large egg(s)
- 5 large egg white(s)
- 3/4 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup(s) WeightWatchers Reduced Fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese, about 4 oz
Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add onion and asparagus; sauté until vegetable are soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
Off heat, coat same skillet with cooking spray. Arrange bread slices tightly in bottom of skillet.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and allow milk mixture to soak in entirely (like when you make French toast). Sprinkle bread with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
Place skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook, shaking pan frequently to promote even cooking, until almost cooked through to the top, about 4 or 5 minutes.
Place skillet under broiler to set eggs, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from broiler; top with bacon-vegetable mixture, cheddar cheese and remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. Place skillet under broiler again until cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
- If you don’t have an oven-proof skillet, cover the handle with aluminum foil before broiling.