- 4 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce, or regular soy sauce , if preferred
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar, divided
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 16 small fresh cherry tomato(es), halved
- 1 small cucumber(s), seeded and shredded, or diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 2 medium uncooked scallion(s), thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 2 medium clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 1/2 pound(s) uncooked ground chicken breast
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz canned water chestnut(s), drained and chopped
- 24 leaf/leaves romaine lettuce, or Bibb lettuce
In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, 1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, and cornstarch until smooth; set aside.
Stir tomatoes, cucumber, sugar, and remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar in a second, smaller serving bowl; set aside.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds, or until aromatic. Add chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring to break up chicken, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add soy sauce mixture and water chestnuts to chicken mixture. Cook, stirring, until bubbling and slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; transfer to a serving bowl.
Serve these like fajitas: place about 2 1/2 Tbsp chicken mixture in a romaine leaf, top with about 1 1/2 Tbsp tomato mixture, and fold to form a “U.” (The leaf won’t fold closed.)
Serving size: six-filled lettuce wraps
- Garnish with cilantro (optional).