Sweet meets tangy and peppery in this cold-weather inspired meal. It’s terrific on any occasion – even special enough for a holiday dinner.
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 cup(s) arugula, baby leaves
- 3 cup(s), shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup(s) grapes, seedless, red and/or green, cut in half
- 1 large fresh apple(s), cored, sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) blue cheese, crumbled
Place walnuts in a small skillet over medium heat; cook, stirring, until toasted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper; add arugula, romaine, grapes and apple and toss to coat.
Place 2 cups salad on each of 4 salad plates. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon walnuts and 1 tablespoon cheese. Yields 1 salad per serving.
- This salad is also wonderful with diced or shredded Cheddar cheese instead of blue cheese.