4 large, peeled, cored, cut into 1/8-inch slices (6 cups sliced apples)
Fresh lemon juice
Packed light brown sugar
½ cup(s), divided
6 tsp, or other brand
¼ tsp, or freshly grated nutmeg (fresh preferred)
3 Tbsp, melted
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place rack in bottom third to middle of oven.
- In a large bowl, toss together apple slices, lemon juice, 1/4 cup sugar, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg; let stand for about 30 minutes.
- Spoon apple mixture into an ungreased 9-inch square baking dish, or glass or ceramic pie plate; cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make topping, in a small bowl, combine flour with remaining 1/2 cup of sugar; mix until completely blended. Add melted butter; work in thoroughly with fingertips.
- After the crisp has baked for 30 minutes, remove it from the oven and discard the foil. Sprinkle the topping over the apples and bake, uncovered, until apples bubble and topping turns golden, about 35 to 45 minutes. Cool at least 2 hours before serving. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.