- Total Time
This dessert was devoured at our last recipe tasting. It's great warm or cold. Even better with light vanilla ice cream.
fresh apple(s)4 large, peeled, cored, cut into 1/8-inch slices (6 cups sliced apples)
fresh lemon juice2 tsp
packed light brown sugar¾ cup(s), divided
tapioca6 tsp, or other brand
ground cinnamon1 tsp
ground nutmeg¼ tsp, or freshly grated nutmeg (fresh preferred)
all-purpose flour½ cup(s)
regular butter4 Tbsp, melted
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place rack in bottom third to middle of oven.
- In a large bowl, toss together apple slices, lemon juice, 1/4 cup sugar, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg; let stand for about 30 minutes.
- Spoon apple mixture into an ungreased 9-inch square baking dish, or glass or ceramic pie plate; cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make topping, in a small bowl, combine flour with remaining 1/2 cup of sugar; mix until completely blended. Add melted butter; work in thoroughly with fingertips.
- After pie has baked for 30 minutes, remove from oven and discard foil. Sprinkle topping over apples and bake, uncovered, until apples bubble and topping turns golden, about 35 to 45 minutes. Cool at least 2 hours before serving. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.