Apple-cranberry upside-down cake
packed brown sugar
fresh lemon juice
2 medium, Golden Delicious, peeled, halved, cored, and cut into 1⁄4-inch-thick slices (about 2 cups)
2 Tbsp, melted with 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a nonstick 9-inch round baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine the brown sugar, butter, and lemon juice in a large nonstick skillet and set over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the butter melts and the sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Add the apples and water; cook, stirring, until tender and golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cranberries; remove the skillet from the heat.
- When cool enough to handle, arrange the apple slices in concentric circles in the baking pan. Top with the cranberries and scrape any sugar mixture remaining in the skillet on top; set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together the buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla in a separate medium bowl. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture just until blended.
- Pour the batter evenly over the apple mixture. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack 10 minutes. Run a thin knife around the cake to loosen it from the pan. Invert onto a serving plate; lift off the pan. Brush the top of the cake with the melted jam. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yields 1⁄12 of cake per serving.