1 medium, Fuji variety, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
Fresh lemon juice
⅛ tsp, freshly ground
Vanilla lowfat yogurt
1 Tbsp, melted
⅛ tsp, freshly ground (or to taste)
- To make applesauce, combine apple, cinnamon stick, lemon juice, sugar, cardamom, vanilla extract, black pepper, and water in a small saucepan; cook, covered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding extra water by the teaspoon if pan gets dry, until apple is very tender and falling apart, 30-35 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender or mini-food processor (or use an immersion blender); pulse until smooth. Transfer to a bowl; set aside to cool.
- To make muffins, preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 24-hole mini-muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and melted butter. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Spoon 1 heaping Tbsp batter into each prepared muffin cup. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 12 minutes; let cool completely in pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining sugar and black pepper.
- Remove cooled muffins from pan; roll top of muffins in sugar-mixture to coat. Next, using a pastry bag with a small tip, pipe a little applesauce onto the top of each muffin (or use a plastic bag with the corner snipped off).
- Serving size: 1 muffin