- 1 medium uncooked eggplant(s), baby-variety, sliced into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 medium sweet red pepper(s), cut into 8 strips
- 1 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
- 3/4 tsp table salt, divided
- 1 medium clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 large fresh tomato(es), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp basil, fresh, minced
- 2 Tbsp chives, fresh, minced
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 8 oz uncooked angel hair pasta, cooked according to package directions, drained
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
Preheat grill to medium.*
Place eggplant slices and pepper strips in a grill basket (or place vegetables on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil with holes poked in it to allow smoke through). Off heat, coat vegetables with cooking spray; season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Place on grill and cook until lightly browned and tender, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Cut vegetables into bite-size pieces; set aside.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over low-medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until slightly pulpy, about 1 minute more. Stir in vegetables, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, basil, chives and broth; increase heat to medium-high. Cook until broth is slightly reduced and mixture has a sauce consistency, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add pasta and toss to coat. Stir in cheese just before serving. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
- * You can roast the vegetables if you prefer. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place vegetables on prepared baking sheet and coat with cooking spray; season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Roast, until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Let your garden dictate the vegetables for this recipe: sliced zucchini, yellow squash or red onion can be substituted for the eggplant.