Hainanese chicken rice
Chicken stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), 500ml stock
3 inch slice(s)
3 medium, 2 cut into thirds and 1 finely sliced
Roast Chicken, Mixed Meat, Skinless
Light Brown Sugar
Smooth Peanut Butter
1 tablespoons, heaped
Brown rice, boiled
- Put 2 litres of cold water, 500ml stock, sherry and salt in a large stockpot and bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Meanwhile, thickly slice 5cm of the ginger. Stuff the chicken cavity with the sliced ginger and thirds of spring onion.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the whole chicken to the pot, breast-side down, so its completely submerged. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. Add the chicken fillets for the last 8 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove the fillets from the broth and transfer to a heatproof bowl to cool. Remove the pot from the heat and set aside, covered, for 1 hour (the chicken will continue to cook).
- Meanwhile, make a sauce by cutting the remaining ginger into matchsticks and putting in a heatproof bowl with the sesame oil, sugar and soy sauce. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat then carefully pour into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Carefully lift the chicken from the pot and set aside on a large plate. Strain the broth, discarding any solids, then return 475ml of the stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Set aside the rest of the stock.
- Steam the Chinese cabbage in a steamer set over the boiling stock for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain and season to taste.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from the chicken and discard the ginger and spring onion from the cavity. Carve.
- Arrange the steamed rice on a large serving platter, top with the chicken, cucumber, cabbage and coriander, and spoon over the sauce. Serve the broth on the side.