Filo sausage rolls
SmartPoints® value per serving
Love sausage rolls? These ones use crisp filo pastry instead of puff, making them healthier, but every bit as good.
Calorie controlled cooking spray
2 medium, finely chopped
Reduced fat pork sausages, grilled
3 sheet(s), large
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw, beaten
1 teaspoons, level
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6 and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Mist a frying pan with cooking spray and cook the shallots over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Remove the skin from the sausages and mix the meat with the cooked shallots in a bowl. Melt the butter in a small pan over a low heat.
- Lay one of the filo pastry sheets on a board and dot with some of the melted butter. Lay a second sheet of filo on top of the first, dot with more melted butter then repeat with the third sheet. Trim the edges, then cut in half to make two rectangular strips.
- Put half the sausage mixture down the centre of each pastry strip, then brush the edges of the pastry with the remaining melted butter. Roll up the pastry to enclose the sausage meat and slice into 4cm pieces.
- Put the sausage rolls on the baking sheet, brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle over the fennel seeds, then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and cooked through.