How to cook scrambled eggs
Perfect scrambled eggs
2 SmartPoints® per serve
Prep time: 5 min | Cook time: 5 min
1 tbs (20g) reduced-fat oil spread
1. Whisk eggs in a medium bowl until totally combined (mixture should be uniform yellow).
Tip: Whisking makes sure the yolks and whites are thoroughly combined and brings air into the mixture for a fluffier end result – whisk just as you’re ready to cook, not ahead of time.
Heat a 22cm non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add spread and melt until frothy.
Tip: Don′t allow the butter to colour – if it’s too brown the eggs will taste burnt.
Add egg mixture and reduce heat to medium – this gives you more control and helps avoid overcooking the egg. Stand without stirring, for 30 seconds. Push a spatula from the edge of pan to the centre to create large curds. Repeat until three-quarters of egg is set. Remove pan from heat before eggs are totally cooked and divide between 2 plates.
Tip: The eggs continue cooking once taken off the heat.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Wilted spinach and toasted sourdough.
Other cooking methods to try...
Whisk eggs in a medium saucepan until smooth and uniform yellow. Add chopped spread, season and stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until medium curds appear. Remove from heat before eggs are totally cooked.
Whisk eggs in a medium metal bowl until smooth and uniform yellow. Add chopped spread and season. Place the bowl over a medium saucepan of boiling water. Reduce heat to medium. Whisk for 5-6 minutes or until small curds appear. Remove from heat before eggs are totally cooked.
• Sprinkle this classic dish with a tablespoon of grated parmesan and finely chopped fresh jalapeño chilli. The SmartPoints of the recipe will remain the same.
• Go Indian and add a pinch of garam masala, fresh chilli and fresh coriander. The SmartPoints of the recipe will then remain the same.
• In spring, enjoy with 0 SmartPoints steamed asparagus and snow peas.
• Add 30g grated, light cheddar cheese and 2 chopped green shallots at the end of cooking. This recipe will then be 3 SmartPoints per serve.