Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Uncooked sweet potato(es)
3 medium, peeled, cubed
Uncooked cubed parsnip(s)
½ cup(s), diced
1 tsp(s), chopped
Fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
Fat free buttermilk
¾ tsp(s), (1/4 tsp divided)
¾ pinch, (1/4 tsp divided)
2 tsp(s), chopped
¼ cup(s), diced (1/2 small onion)
1 clove(s), medium, minced
Crushed red pepper flakes
Uncooked 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
Frozen green peas
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the cubed sweet potato in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and cook until sweet potato is fork-tender, about 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat 1 ½ tsp oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Brown the turkey, breaking up the meat with the back of a wooden spoon, about 3-4 minutes. Add the parsnips, onion, and garlic to the meat and mix. Cook for another 2 minutes, until veg is softened
- Add the cumin, paprika, turmeric, chili flakes, and thyme to the pan and mix. Cook 1-2 minutes to toast the spices. Add ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp black pepper.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the chicken stock. Pour liquid into the pan and stir until meat mixture starts to thicken and pull together. Mix in the peas, remove pan from the heat, and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes. Place potatoes in a mixing bowl with the buttermilk, allspice, ¼ tsp salt, 1 tsp parsley and ¼ tsp black pepper. Whip until smooth.
- Spread the meat mixture into an 8”x 8” baking pan. Layer the sweet potato on top, swirling to create textured edges. Place in the oven and bake (broil?) for 3-5 minutes or until potato is lightly browned
- Remove from oven, garnish with remaining 1 tsp parsley and serve
- Serving Size = 8oz (or 1/4th of the pan)