Butternut & Bacon Pita Pizzas
1 cup(s), chopped, thinly sliced
1 tsp(s), finely chopped
½ tsp(s), divided
Uncooked butternut squash
12 oz, cubed
Whole wheat pita(s)
4 large, or multigrain pitas
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Cooked crisp center cut bacon
3 slice(s), crumbled
- Coat a medium skillet with cooking spray. Heat the pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, rosemary, and ⅛ tsp salt; sauté until the onion is lightly browned and softened, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the squash in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on High for 5 minutes. Carefully uncover the bowl and sprinkle the squash with the remaining ⅜ tsp salt. Mash the squash mixture with a fork until smooth.
- Preheat the broiler to High. Arrange the pitas on a sheet pan; broil until crisp and toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Reduce the broiler heat to Low. Spread the squash mixture evenly over the toasted pitas; top evenly with the onion mixture. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese and then the bacon. Broil the pizzas until the cheese melts and starts to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 pita pizza