Vegetarian Burritos with Salsa Verde
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, fire-roasted variety
- 31 oz canned black beans, 2 (15 1/2-ounce) rinsed and drained
- 8 3/4 oz canned white corn, drained
- 3 Tbsp reduced sodium taco seasoning, or Mexican seasoning
- 2 cup(s) uncooked Swiss chard, sliced
- 8 medium whole wheat tortilla(s), (7-inch) warmed
- 1 cup(s) reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free sour cream
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free salsa, verde (green) variety
- Drain the tomatoes and reserve all but 1/2 cup of the liquid. Put the tomatoes and the reserved liquid in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add the beans, corn, and taco seasoning. Cover and cook until the flavors are blended, 3 – 4 hours on high or 6 – 8 hours on low.
- About 20 minutes before the cooking time is up, stir in the Swiss chard. Coarsely mash the bean mixture with a potato masher or wooden spoon.
- Lay the tortillas out on a work surface. Spoon 1/2 cup of the bean mixture on each tortilla. Top evenly with the pepper Jack, sour cream, and salsa verde. Roll up the tortillas to enclose the filling. Yields 1 burrito per serving.