Tomato and Orange Stacks
- Total Time
Be sure to choose ripe tomatoes the same size as the peeled oranges to make evenly balanced stacks.
orange(s)2 medium, Navel variety
fresh tomato(es)2 medium, ripe
balsamic vinegar2 Tbsp
fresh parsley2 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
unsweetened orange juice1 Tbsp
olive oil2 tsp
table salt¼ tsp
black pepper⅛ tsp, freshly ground
- Grate 1 teaspoon orange zest from one of the oranges; place in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut away the peel from both of the oranges, removing all of the yellow pith. Trim off 1/4 inch from the ends of each orange, then cut each orange into 4 crosswise slices.
- Trim off 1/4 inch from the ends of each tomato, then cut each tomato into 4 crosswise slices.
- Add the vinegar, parsley, orange juice, oil, salt, and pepper to the orange zest; mix well.
- Stack 2 tomato and 2 orange slices alternately on each of 4 salad plates. Drizzle each stack with about 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Serve at once. Yields 1 stack per serving.