Spicy Black Bean Soup
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
- 4 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 45 oz canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz cans)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 14 1/2 oz fat free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilis
- 11 oz canned yellow corn, drained
- Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Place one can of beans in blender; add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into stockpot.
- Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.
- Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of soup per serving.