- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup(s) uncooked shallot(s), or red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp chili powder, chipotle-variety
- 29 oz canned carrots, sliced (undrained)
- 1 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup(s) fat free sour cream
Heat oil in a medium saucepan; add shallot, curry powder and chili powder. Cook over medium heat until shallot is tender, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Add undrained carrots to saucepan.
Pour buttermilk into saucepan and swirl to combine. Add salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice; puree in saucepan using an immersion blender. (Or puree in batches in a blender—careful not to splatter hot liquid). Taste soup and add remaining teaspoon of lemon juice, if desired.
Divide soup among 4 bowls and garnish with sour cream. Yields about 1 cup of soup and 1 tablespoon of sour cream per serving.
- We used canned carrots because they cut cooking time considerably (you may use fresh carrots though, if you prefer). If you prefer a tangy-tasting soup, swap 1/2 cup of buttermilk for 1/2 cup of plain fat-free yogurt (could affect SmartPoints value). For a festive look, spoon sour cream in the center of each serving. Using a toothpick, draw out "spokes" of sour cream from the center to create a starburst design.