- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 medium uncooked carrot(s), finely chopped
- 3 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground beef
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes, in tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 3 cup(s) cooked whole-wheat spaghetti, kept hot
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
Add ground beef to skillet. Cook, breaking up clumps with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and tomato puree, salt, red pepper flakes and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes for flavors to blend and for sauce to thicken slightly; spoon sauce over spaghetti. Yields about 1/2 cup of spaghetti and 2/3 cup of sauce per serving.
- Refrigerate extra sauce for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Add a delicious Parmesan-infused crumb topping to spaghetti recipes: Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a small nonstick skillet. Add 1/3 cup of coarse whole-wheat bread crumbs. Cook on high heat for 1 minute, shaking skillet constantly, until crumbs are aromatic and slightly browned. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese and shake well to coat. Remove from heat and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of crumbs over each dish just before serving. (Could affect SmartPoints values.)