Roasted Acorn Squash with Orange-Ginger Dressing
- 3 medium uncooked acorn squash, cut in half and seeded
- 3 spray(s) cooking spray
- 3/4 cup(s) fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, minced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a roasting pan or baking dish with cooking spray. Place acorn squash, cut side down, on pan and spray outside of squash with cooking spray. Roast until desired doneness, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- About 6 or 7 mintues before squash is finished cooking, in a medium oven-safe bowl or pan, combine orange juice, ginger, butter, sugar and zest. Place in oven and cook just until butter and sugar melt; remove from oven and stir. (Or you can heat the dressing on the stovetop over low heat.)
- Serve each squash half like a bowl with dressing poured inside. Yields 1 squash half and about 3 tablespoons of dressing per serving.
You can also scoop out and mash the squash with the dressing and serve it like mashed potatoes.