Low-Fat Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1 large egg white(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-hole muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Separate egg, placing whites in a medium bowl and yolk in a large bowl. Set whites aside. Add brown sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla to yolk. Mix with a wooden spoon until well blended. Add flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat whites until soft peaks form. Add whites to batter along with 1/4 cup of chocolate chips (4 tablespoons). Stir until well blended.
- Divide batter equally among muffin cups. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of chocolate chips (4 to 5 chips) on top of each muffin.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of one muffin comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in tins and then remove muffins to a rack to cool for 10 minutes more.