A fantastic combination of flavors and textures. Serve as a side dish, use as a pasta topping or enjoy as a room temperature salad.
- 3 slice(s) uncooked reduced fat center cut bacon
- 3 medium clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), diced
- 1 pound(s) uncooked kale, stemmed, roughly chopped
- 1 cup(s) canned chicken broth, or beef broth
- 15 oz canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar, in the raw
Set a large, heavy pot or skillet over medium heat; add bacon and cook to desired crispness. Remove bacon from pot and set aside; leave bacon drippings in pot.
Add garlic and red pepper flakes to bacon drippings; cook, stirring, until garlic becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add kale; cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to wilt, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add broth; cover and simmer over low heat until kale is just tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add beans; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is almost evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in salt, vinegar and sugar; sprinkle with crumbled bacon and serve immediately. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.