A fabulous Greek salad with a few tasty additions like chickpeas and fresh dill.
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 2 1/4 tsp lemon zest, *
- 4 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 3/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), four 4-oz pieces
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 4 cup(s), shredded romaine lettuce, thickly shredded
- 1 cup(s) canned drained chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup(s) roasted red peppers (packed in water), diced
- 1 cup(s) English cucumber(s), sliced
- 8 medium olive(s), Kalamata, sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
- 4 1/2 Tbsp dill, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 medium lemon(s), cut into wedges for garnish
In a small bowl, combine water, oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, salt and pepper; remove 1/4 cup of dressing and place in a large zip-close plastic bag (or glass bowl).
Add chicken to bag (or bowl) and turn to coat; seal bag (or cover bowl) and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining lemon mixture for dressing.
When ready to cook, off heat, coat grill or grill pan with cooking spray; preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade.
Grill chicken, turning as needed, until cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Place lettuce on a serving platter; arrange vegetables, chickpeas, chicken, olives and cheese on top. Stir dill into reserved dressing; drizzle over salad. Yields about 1 1/2 cups salad, 1 chicken breast and 1 tablespoon each olives and feta per serving.
- Swap fresh peppers for roasted peppers if desired.