- 16 oz uncooked lean beef round
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed(s)
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 8 small uncooked red potato(es), halved
- 16 baby uncooked carrot(s)
- 1 head(s), medium cooked green cabbage, coarsely shredded
Coat beef all over with salt and pepper and place in a large stockpot; pour enough water into pot to cover beef. Add seasonings and bay leaves and stir to coat meat; set pot over high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 40 minutes.
Add potatoes, carrots and cabbage and increase heat to medium-high; return to a boil. Partially cover pot and boil, until vegetables and beef are fork-tender, about 10 minutes more. Drain water from meat and vegetables, reserving 1 cup of liquid; discard bay leaves.
Thinly slice meat against the grain and serve with vegetables. Pour some reserved cooking liquid over each serving. Yields about 3 ounces of meat, 1 1/2 cups of vegetables and 1/4 cup of cooking liquid per serving.