- 1/2 cup(s) canned tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey mustard
- 1 Tbsp spiced seasoning mix, BBQ variety
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), pounded 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 6 cup(s) chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cup(s) grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium sweet red pepper(s), chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup(s) canned yellow corn
- 1/4 cup(s) reduced fat ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup(s) semisoft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s), chopped
Preheat a grill or grill pan to high heat.
In a medium bowl, combine tomato sauce, mustard, BBQ seasoning, sugar, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce; set aside.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken, flipping once, until almost done, about 2 minutes per side. Next, baste chicken with reserved sauce a few times, flipping on grill while coating both sides with sauce, and cook until done, about 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove chicken to a cutting board and let rest for a few minutes before slicing.
In a large serving bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, pepper, beans, corn and dressing; toss to coat. Top salad with chicken; garnish with cheese and scallions. Yields about 2 1/2 cups salad, 3 ounces chicken, 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 tablespoon scallions per serving.
- The BBQ sauce can be made up to 5 days ahead – feel free to play with other types of mustard or seasonings. The chicken can be grilled, sliced and chilled until ready to serve. The beauty of this salad is that you can really use any mix of greens and veggies you have on hand –try baby spinach, sliced celery, chopped or shredded carrot, cucumber, mushrooms and other types of peppers.