Baked Potato Soup
- 1 bulb(s) garlic clove(s), large, 1/4-inch-slice cut off top
- 3 pound(s) uncooked potato(es), rinsed, pierced with a fork (about 6 large baking potatoes)
- 6 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon
- 4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh thyme, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 6 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
- 6 Tbsp low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 Tbsp uncooked scallion(s), sliced
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Wrap entire garlic bulb tightly in foil; place garlic and potatoes in oven. (You do not need to put them on a pan; they can go right on an oven rack.)
- Bake garlic until soft when squeezed, about 45 minutes; remove from oven and let cool. Continue baking potatoes until tender when pierced, about 15 minutes more; let potatoes stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 6 minutes. Place bacon on paper towels to drain off any fat; chop bacon.
- Unwrap garlic and squeeze pulp from bulb with hands into a large saucepan. Peel potatoes and add to saucepan; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Gradually stir in broth, thyme, salt and pepper until blended; place saucepan over medium heat and cook until hot, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon about 1 1/3 cups of soup into each of 6 soup bowls. Top each with 1 tablespoon of sour cream, 1 tablespoon of cheese, 1 rounded tablespoon of bacon and 1 tablespoon of scallions. Grind fresh pepper over top if desired.