Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Casserole
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 cup(s) canned yellow corn, drained, or frozen, thawed corn kernels
- 1 Tbsp canned green chili peppers, chopped, mild or hot
- 15 oz canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup(s) long grain cooked brown rice, fresh or day old
- 7/8 cup(s) Weight Watchers Reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup(s) fat free sour cream
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp uncooked scallion(s), chopped (dark green part only)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 2-quart glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine corn, chilies, beans, rice, 3/4 cup of cheese, sour cream, chili powder, salt and pepper; stir in scallions.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Return to oven and bake until cheese melts and casserole is slightly bubbly, about 10 minutes more. Let stand for 5 minutes to firm up before slicing into 6 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
Change the beans or cheese to your liking: white or black beans, reduced-fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheeses all work well.If you want to brown the cheese more, place the dish (make sure it's broiler safe) under the broiler for a minute or two.